More migraine sufferers are turning to natural migraine ingredients to improve health than ever before, and it’s easy to see why. As accidental prescription drug deaths explode all over the US, an increasing amount of chronic pain sufferers are seeking a safer alternative approach to neurological health care.
Prescription drugs kill more people than traffic accidents
Recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) came out with a startling news report- a dramatic rise in deaths from prescription drug overdoses in the past two decades. Since 1990, prescription medication mortalities have tripled. In their report released this month, the CDC states that consumption of prescription painkillers such as those used to treat migraine headaches has reached epidemic proportions, accounting for three out of four fatal prescription drug overdoses.”
“Overdose deaths involving opioid pain relievers (OPR), also known as opioid analgesics, have increased and now exceed deaths involving heroin and cocaine combined.” -CDC
An ABC news report recently stated, “Drugs now kill more people than motor vehicle accidents in the U.S.”
Are Doctors Overprescribing Painkillers for Migraines? Fox News Report
Natural migraine ingredients becoming mainstream
Though not part of “conventional medicine,” natural nutrients for migraine headaches have nevertheless increased in popularity this past decade. A 2004 report conducted by the CDC found that 62% of all adults use complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) to treat their health problems, with natural products like herbs and vitamins accounting for 19% of the preferred alternative treatment. Other popular natural alternatives include change in diet, meditation and yoga, chiropractic care, and massage.
- Another CDC study on natural ingredients found that 14% of all fibromyalgia patients supplement with magnesium for optimal health and well-being, and that 61.5% of patients who used natural herbs also experienced dramatic results.
- The CDC also notes that natural herbs and vitamins are one of the most popular health choices among sufferers of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Examples of popular nutrients are coenzyme Q10, magnesium, and vitamin B12.
Read more about natural migraine remedies:
- Sinus Headache Remedies from the Kitchen- Eat This, Not That
- 6 Safe Migraine Treatments for Pregnant Moms
- Alternative Migraine Treatments: Thinking outside of the Botox
- Drug Deaths Exceed Traffic Deaths
- CDC Vital Signs – Prescription Painkiller Overdoses in the US
- CDC – Prescription Painkiller Overdoses Policy Impact Brief – Home and Recreational Safety – Injury Center
- CDC. Vital Signs: Overdoses of Prescription Opioid Pain Relievers
Image credits, from top: